Monday, August 6, 2007

Field Trip to Dessalines (Part II)

This is Part II of our field trip to Dessalines and even though it has a beginning and an ending, you still need to see Part I. I made some additions and corrections to my last posting so you may want to take another look. This field trip has been the highlight of the summer so far. It was a very exciting and informative trip which gave us much to think and pray about. I would like to share the fact that as I walked on the grounds of the Ebenezer Glenn Orphanage, I had the strongest sense of God's love surrounding us, and His presence being very real. I felt the true spirit of being in God's country. It was not like anything I ever experienced before. I could see it on the faces of the people I met and it was also expressed constantly by the staff members. My thoughts seemed more clear and focused. Even now, the feeling is strong and I am enjoying this new peace. Thank you again to Jacquelin and all the wonderful staff.
Our beautiful school bus! Getting ready to make our first trip as a group.
Julius' wife and three daughters joined us on our field trip. The man behind her is the relief bus driver/mechanic.Our cook, Marie-Rose also joined us with her daughter Rosenelsia, seated in front.
Smith, Cadjina and Lucner. Excited to be heading out! It was her first time ever on a bus.
Jeemy-Ska and Angeline checking out the scenery and holding on for dear life.
The wide open space of the Ebenezer Glenn Orphanage. Lots of grazing goats. We were told by Sterson that these were not Haitian goats but he was not sure of the kind. He said these goats could give birth to as many as five babies and the meat had good flavor. More land to add future amenities.
One of the many planters built around the complex to grow grapevines so the kids can make fresh juice.
Storage room to keep logs dry for the wood burning stoves. A very real blessing for them.
Still have a lot of ground to cover. Gathering the group for the next round. This part of the compound is on the complete opposite side from the garden and field with the honeybees.
Home of the older girls. Most were out doing their chores. To left of that are the homes of the elementary age kids.
Home of the older boys, mostly in their 20's. One of them was playing an acoustic guitar out on the patio when we were passing by. Also visible is one of the goals for the full size soccer field.
Swing set constructed by the orphans in the Metal Shop class. Two boys volunteer to demonstrate how it works.
Flying high without fear! The kids had never seen this before and were amazed at how high he went. Some of them were scared but most of them were laughing. None, except for Aquel, dared to try it. I'm sure in hindsight, they wished they had.
After our grand tour, they lead us back to the main house where we were surprised with glasses of cold water and then treated to homemade oatmeal raisin cookies and punch. Since it was now nearly 2:00 p.m. and we missed lunch, the kids devoured their snacks. I have never been a fan of raisins but I ate every one of them! I was either really that hungry or they were really that good. In all honesty, I have to say that both are true.
The living room of the main house which featured an upright piano on the left side where the covered bench is. A photo of the Peaveys hangs above the bookcase.
Sterson with one of the orphans helping in the kitchen. Little Melissa standing to the left.
The bathroom had both a tub and a shower. The other view did not come out so well but the room was nicely done.
A group of young orphans came to sing a couple of songs for us. The first one was sung in English and one of my favorites, Lord I Lift Your Name On High. The harmonies were just perfect and the voices were beautiful! The second song was in Creole but on a more contemporary level. I recognized the tune but did not understand the words, of course. I had chills the whole time they sang.
Our kids reciprocated with two of their favorite hymns. Both were in English: This Is The Day and He Is The King of Kings. I did not teach them these songs so it was a surprise for me as well. They did a great job and the other kids clapped for them.
A bittersweet farewell to our new friend and tour guide, Sterson. He said to me, more than once during our time there, "Please don't forget me. I will be here as your friend." He and Aquel formed an instant friendship and enjoyed each other's company.
Leaving Dessalines and heading home on the road under construction. Dessalines is located roughly southeast of Bayonnais. Eight hours on the road with a three hour visit in between. The cook still had to make dinner upon our return at 7:00 and we ate around 8:00 p.m.. Everyone literally passed out in their beds and it took a couple of days for all of us to recover. I think about the many Haitians who make this kind of trip every single day just for the mere sake of survival. Do they ever get a chance to recover or are they just accustomed to it? Pray for Haiti and for the ones who have the power to change the conditions.

No comments: