Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Crime Happens Everywhere

The days have been flying by! I can't believe that I have not posted anything since last Wednesday. I am constantly writing (in my head) but then something or someone that needs my attention, which is often, interrupts my thoughts. I have topics or occasions that I think of sharing or things that I feel passionate about but those times come when I am not sitting at the computer. Usually it's late at night when I am restless or fighting off the multitude of different insects that I can hear and feel but can't see. That, too, is a huge distraction from my thoughts. Last night was one of those nights so I am sitting here now, a little fatigued, trying to decide what I should write about….?

One topic has been heavy on my heart because it was close to home. Here in Bayonnais, three very sad circumstances affected our community in the past week. I struggled with how to process the information and whether or not to share it with my readers. My thoughts ranged from: It is just too sad and disturbing, all the way to: I want to keep it real, honest, and share what goes on around here. I am still torn but have decided to share it to a certain extent. If you have no interests in knowing about tragedies, then just skip this and wait for the next posting. I will understand. It is important to me to document the happenings here whether they are cheerful or depressing because they are all part of my experiences. As I write, I discover new ways of understanding a different culture and of human nature in general. Of course, there are times I don't understand at all, but even that is a process for acceptance.

I know that crime happens everywhere. I keep telling myself that. But, when it happens this close to home, it is very hard to be an observer and not feel the effects of the pain. We first learned that something was amiss more than a week ago. It seems that a Pastor of another church here in Bayonnais had been missing since Saturday night and failed to show up for the Sunday morning service. His wife called for help from the community to form a search party to find him. One person claimed to have "a vision" and saw him tied up and lying in a hole in another town. A large group of people set out on foot to walk the long distance to see if it was true. It was not. A farmer discovered him four days later, just off the side of the road in a cornfield, near the market, right down the street from us. He was definitely tied up, very badly beaten, and barely alive. They took him to a hospital in Gonaives where the doctors told them they were not equipped to help him. They suggested that he go to Port Au Prince. He died in route. Later, word spread that the killing was for personal reasons. He was married but had a mistress and was either coming or going to her house when he was ambushed. Another day later, six people were arrested in connection to his death. His funeral was held last Sunday and there were literally hundreds of people on the road following the hearse to the mountain gravesite. It took about a half hour for the entire procession to pass our house.

The next horror happened over this past weekend. Two 15-year-old girls got into an argument and then it escalated into a physical brawl. One of the girls actually bit off most of the tongue of the other! I could not even comprehend that! She was transported to Gonaives (with tongue in hand) and was told they could do nothing for her. I just shuddered at the thought of such a horrible thing to have to go through. The victim, as well as her mother, was devastated. The mother kept saying, "Why did she do this to my beautiful daughter? What's going to happen to her now?" I last heard that the young girl was not doing well and could possibly die from the injury that did not receive medical care. The lack of good medical care in Haiti is another tragedy in itself, especially when it comes to trauma cases.

The last sad event happened to one of our church members. For months, we watched her glowing with joy about her pregnancy. A week ago, Sunday, I spoke with her after church and learned that she was due anytime. She finally gave birth last Thursday afternoon. She had it at home with the help of a mid-wife, as most of them do. The baby was fine. The mother was fine. Both rested well during the night. The next morning, she awoke to find her newborn dead. They do not know why. No one had any answers. It was a baby boy. They had the funeral on Saturday with just a handful of people for a quiet ceremony. No hearse needed. One man carried the coffin under his arm like a stack of books. He was not being disrespectful. It's just the way they do things. The mother did not attend. I heard that she was still in shock and in a deep depression. It will be a while before we see her again. She has a daughter that is a toddler so I am hoping that the little girl can keep her grounded. It has been very quiet here in Bayonnais. Many are still reeling from the first event.

Yesterday, I read the story about the senseless killings in Wisconsin and my heart felt like it would burst. I cried for everybody. I could not help but think of my own son and all his wonderful high school and college friends. I love them all like my own and know that it would be unbearable to have to endure something like that. My heart is still so heavy. I can only imagine how those who were personally affected must be feeling. It is said that time heals all wounds, but for some, the healing never comes, especially where children are involved. I am praying that God will heal their pain and grant them the peace that surpasses all understanding. I ask that you also include all of these families in your prayers. There is strength in numbers and the power of prayer can make a difference. Amen.

No comments: