Friday, June 22, 2007

Between Here.../\..../\../\..and.../\./\..../\.../\...There!

The small upside down "V's' and the in-between dots are suppose to represent the humps and dips in the approximate twenty miles of road to Gonaives. (I am sort of limited with illustrations on the keyboard). I just recently took my second trip into the city since my arrival in April and was amazed to see that in the short time I have been here, the road conditions have managed to become increasingly worse.
I rode into town on the back of a motorcycle which was quite pleasant, although a little rough, and made the trip back in a tap-tap (Haitian taxi) which was much, much worse. Even for the physically fit, (not me, of course), it can be a painful ride. Old injuries in my neck and back were feeling the impact of every shift, bump and sudden dip. I was exhausted by the time I arrived back home. Although I had the honor of riding inside the truck on the passenger side, I kept one hand on the door frame to steady myself or hang on so I would not end up in the driver's lap. I was very surprised to see that my hand and arm were the thickly covered in road dust. I can only imagine what the people in the back looked like when they got home. Going to Gonaives on the motorcycle took about 35 minutes and coming back took more than an hour. There really are some terrible deep holes that a small pick-up truck cannot maneuver around with a bed loaded down with people and supplies. Some holes are so wide and deep, that even after a number of days without rain, the water is still standing and full of green slime and mosquitoes. A health hazard as well. For the areas where the water does recede, there are multiple deep muddy ruts where many have attempted different ways to cross to avoid becoming stuck. In the cases where the driver's attempts have failed, the Haitians are familiar enough with the routine of having to jump out of the vehicle to lighten the load and assist in the rescue. It's all part of the journey and they are happy to have a way to get there.
Although I had the camera with me and took a few shots, the vehicle was not steady enough to take a clear enough picture to publish. Therefore, they have been deleted. The best way to capture the experience would be to videotape the actual ride. However, some viewers would probably experience virtual motion sickness. It really is sad to know that this is the only way in or out of Bayonnais and it is very hard on people, animals, and the many vehicles that travel on this road, but they do it every single day.
On the trip to Gonaives, I saw some men and women wearing T-Shirts that said USAids and they were working on digging ditches for the drip irrigation system along both sides of the road. Other than that, I did not see any other construction taking place.
I know that Actionnel met with some people in Port Au Prince a couple of weeks ago to discuss the road conditions between here and Gonaives and for the completion of the bridge. He said they made a trip out here to see for themselves and have agreed to start working on it. However, I have not seen anything yet. I also know that the Engineers Without Borders are still actively involved with Bayonnais and that plans are in the works to make some improvements very soon. It will be a blessing to all when the changes take place. Getting from Point A to Point B won't be such a chore and progress can happen much faster in this community. Bringing in supplies for home improvements, adding on to a church or school building, or perhaps even building a small store, will be so much more feasible.

Of course, during the improvements, they will have to contend with delays due to the construction equipment and a road that is mostly one lane. You know, the morning and evening traffic...a.k.a. rush hour. It is a sacrifice that I'm sure all are willing to make. They are excited about the possibility of having an actual paved road to walk, ride and drive on. It will take some getting used to for the locals and the driver/pedestrian rules will need to change. I can imagine that the donkeys and other animals will be a little confused as well.
I pray that God sends help soon and that the road completion will happen during my time here. I would love to be a witness to it and to share the joy on my Blog. For all you prayer warriors out there, please add this to your list of things to pray for. It is only one of many much-needed prayers to be answered but it will be the key to "paving the way" to finding the answers. God Bless!

No comments: