Monday, June 11, 2007

A Wonderful Weekend

Last week I really struggled to come up with topics to write about on the blog and this week I have four stories to share but did not know which one to start with. I finally decided to tell you about this past weekend because I had such a wonderful time and was very happy to have American visitors.
A group of five people came in last Wednesday from North Carolina and they were on a Missions trip for the First Baptist Church Huntersville - FBCH. There was a married couple and three other men traveling together.

Cheerfully posing in front of "Mapou", one of the oldest and largest trees in Haiti. You can guesstimate the width of the trunk by comparing it to the people in front. Does not measure up to a Redwood tree but still as interesting. (From left to right) David Mashburn and his lovely wife Rita, Robert Wallace, Scott Phillips, and Jim Smith.

It is my understanding that Actionnel was in North Carolina about twelve years ago and went to visit FBCH to speak at the church and talk about Haiti and his vision for OFCB. The church was very interested in helping and being a part of a growing ministry so they began raising funds to help build the church. Since that time, they have been financially and spiritually supportive for the past twelve years. David and his wife, Rita met Actionnel during his visit but had not seen him for all these years. This was the first visit for everyone that arrived here in Haiti. Everyone expressed how much more of an impact it was to physically be here and see things first hand. It was so much more real for them to meet the children and take in all the sights of Haiti.

Actionnel invited me to have dinner and spend the night on Friday at the OFCB compound so I could meet the folks and learn about their mission here. I was so happy to accept. They were all very kind and interesting to talk to. We had a delicious dinner and then took a short walk back behind the OFCB compound. We were actually visiting the better neighborhoods of Bayonnais. We walked up the path leading to the river, we stopped by the house where Actionnel was born and his parents still live, and then back around to OFCB. Took a few pictures, but not as many as I wanted to because it was getting dark.

The Reverend Actionnel Fleurisma - my dear friend and brother in Christ. A man with a huge vision for the people of Haiti and a loving heart to match.











Actionnel's mother and the house where Actionnel was born about 43 years ago. Originally it was a two-room mud hut and had a thatched roof similar to the one that was remodeled in my last posting. Over the years the house was expanded and upgraded to be more comfortable. Actionnel was the second born of eleven children but not all of his siblings are alive. Nearly half of them have died. The house in front of the home (on stilts) is where they store their food to keep them safe from animals and other creatures.

We headed back to OFCB and everyone settled in for the night. I found it incredible but not surprising that I had a hard time sleeping. I was sharing a room with Actionnel's newly adopted 18 yr.old daughter,Marie-Ange, sleeping on a comfortable bunk bed with two oscillating fans and could not fall asleep until around two in the morning. The next morning when Actionnel asked why I did not sleep well, I told him it was because it was too quiet. Ha! I could not hear a thing except the hum of the fan. (Made up for it with a one hour afternoon nap).

After breakfast, Rita started our day off right with a morning devotional. It gave us much to think about and plenty to be grateful for. My thanks again to Rita.

The group wanted to go for a walk and explore so I invited them to walk down to the orphanage and meet the kids. When we arrived, I found it strange that I could not see my kids anywhere. When we walked into the house, there they were, all nicely dressed and seated in the living room, ready to greet the guests. I was so very proud of them. They all even made their own beds. It was great!

Because it was Saturday morning, the English class was in session with David taking the class alone in my absence. The group went to observe and take some pictures. They met and talked with some of the students as well.

Note to Robert: The kids are still talking about the "animals in your mouth". Ha! Note to Readers: Robert did several impressions of different animals, making the sounds that they make, and had the children both amazed and laughing.

We headed back to OFCB and had a nice lunch. Well, it was nice for some of us. David Mashburn did not enjoy it as much. Seems they were serving the goats that the group went to purchase at the market the day after they arrived. David made the mistake of naming his goat, George, and then made a further mistake by witnessing the goats being prepared for the meal. Robert took some graphic pictures but it did not deter him from his meal. David sort of lost his appetite. I chose not to be a witness so my lunch was very tasty. Everyone rested for a while and then each just did their own thing until it was time for the evening events.

After battling the path up the side of the mountain on an early morning hike to the Fort of Bayonnais and back (about four hours round trip) , taking a walk to Modene Murphy and back (another hour and a half), Scott lays down for a much needed power-rest.

Actionnel had planned a meeting and a dinner to honor the teachers and the cooks for all their hard work and dedication throughout the school year. I really enjoyed what he had to say to them and about them. I was moved to tears at one point when he was talking about the sacrifices that they all made and the dedication they had for the ministry. It was very moving. As a lovely gesture, he had the teachers serve the cooks for a change. We had a great dinner, a wonderful time visiting each other and playing with the children. I was sad to have to leave and head back to my house but I also missed my kids very much. It was good to be home.

David, Robert and Jim shaking hands with my happy children at Modene Murphy Ministries.

David participates in the English class and points out the importance of capitalizing the name of the country. He also helped with pronunciations during the lesson.

Actionnel explaining the purpose for the evening. Robert is seated next to Wilson, the principal of OFCB.

Everyone joins in to sing Amazing Grace in their own language.
A beautiful presentation for the banquet.

After a long day of working on the Sponsorship program with Jim (far left) and Robert (in yellow shirt), Mislet (in blue shirt) is ready for a feast. Actionnel helps with handing out plates. Mislet will be a big part of my life this summer as my Creole teacher and also to help me set up a sponsorship program for the Modene Murphy Ministries. It will be a joy to work with him.
Rita and some of her new friends.
Scott is happily surrounded by all the excited children.
A couple of poses before I had to leave. David smiles from behind with his Haitian sunburned cheeks.
So many to love and not enough arms to hug them all.

I was home and in bed by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday evening and I missed the group already. They left the next day and stopped by the house on their way out just long enough to drop off some bottled water for me and to say a quick goodbye. I was very happy to meet them and hope that we can always stay in touch. God Bless!

No comments: