Monday, July 23, 2007

On a Mission for a Visa

It was a strange trip to say the least but we did accomplish our goal. I had hoped that this trip would go as smoothly as the last but we kept encountering all kinds of strange setbacks. I was trying to stay focused on keeping the positive energy flowing but Actionnel kept saying, "This is not a good sign". I am not sure if I gave up on my focus, if his energy was stronger than mine, or if we were just out of sync with the universe. It was a challenge for everyone. I am sorry to report that my Shingles or my "rash" has returned. It is only on my arms and legs so far. I am still not sure what the problem is but I do know that this is not fun.
No sooner than we left Bayonnais and got out on the main road, we came upon an accident that had happened a few minutes before. The first thing I saw was large crowd milling in the street. I then saw an ambulance trying to make its way around us and through the crowd. Soon we saw a crumpled motorcycle on its side with a bloody helmet nearby. Then, several yards further, we saw two men on lying on the street, motionless, lifeless and dead. It was such an eerie sight. As we passed, I felt like we were moving in slow motion and everything was so quiet. I saw the many faces of shock, fear and grief. We all said our own prayers for the men. I prayed that their passing was quick and that they were safe in heaven. I also prayed for their loved ones. It was a very sad sight.
When we arrived in Port Au Prince, it was around noon, so we headed for the restaurant where Actionnel prefers to eat when he is in town. They were closed because the shopping center was under construction and getting a face lift. We made a quick stop to have my pictures made for the visa (two head shots-only took five minutes) and then went to find another restaurant. When we got inside, we learned that they had been without power for a couple of days but were still serving hot meals. We did not have lights or air-conditioning and the food was okay (it was edible and tasted like food).
Next we headed for the bank to get the cashier's check. We found a great parking spot and were in and out of the bank pretty quick. Then we headed for the Immigration office. Another good spot to park, no problem getting in the door, and up the stairs to the office. We turned in all the paperwork and it was just a matter of waiting...or so we thought. We were told that the check was incorrect and should have been made out to the Public Treasurer. (in French, of course) Then we were told that the office for the fingerprinting closed at 1:00 p.m. (it was now 2:00) and we would need to come back the next day. So, none of us were happy about that. Now, it was back to the bank to correct the check and then over to the Wall's guest house to stay the night.
I was happy to see that the woman from the Netherlands (I thought she was French) and her adopted Haitian son were still there. She still has another month to wait for his passport and visa to come through. We visited for a while and her son seemed so much happier than the last time I saw him. I also met another man, Bill Anderson, from Canada who had just adopted a daughter name Maclaire (not sure of the spelling but it is pronounced Maclairee) and was waiting for her visa to be approved. What should have been a week turned into 25 days of waiting for him. He was a very good hands-on Dad and I think the time spent at the Walls gave him a great opportunity to bond with his daughter. He and his wife have three beautiful children together and they had both committed to adopting Maclaire and her twin sister which were born prematurely. The twin did not survive the first year but they still took "Claire". (that is what they will call her) She was so precious and tiny for a near two-year-old. I was impressed by her level of intelligence and both her fine and gross motor skills. Claire's Dad had some great stories to share about his experiences here. Some of them were pretty funny! (Not for him at the time, though). The next day, their visa was approved and they were heading home. We were all happy for them! God Bless the Anderson family in Canada!

Bill said his wife could not believe he shaved his head. He said that even he was not used to it yet. This will be great for the family photo album! Finally got a half smile from Claire. What a cutie!

Before Actionnel and his wife, Yolonde, came down for breakfast, I was in the reading area of the guest house and looking at the collection of books on the 4 shelf bookcase. There was a great variety from romance, history, suspense, and religion. One paperback caught my eye. On the side it said Fannie Flagg in large letters. I remember thinking, "Didn't she used to be on a game show that we watched?" I picked up the book and saw that it was titled 'Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe'. I had once seen the movie, Fried Green Tomatoes, and enjoyed it very much. I picked up the book and started reading. I had read six chapters by the time breakfast was served. Before leaving, I asked the manager if I could borrow the book and have Actionnel bring it back on his next trip. He said that was fine. I will get back to this story in a bit........

We went back to the immigration and finalized all the paperwork and paid our fees. We were then told that I could pick up my visa next Friday or anytime after that. We were just about to turn and go when Actionnel noticed that my last name was spelled incorrectly on the official document. They spelled it Pierre. The woman said she would have it fixed right away. We left hoping that she did just that. We did some quick shopping and then headed back to Bayonnais. When we were close to Saint Marc, we decided to stop and eat lunch. It was a small, dark, long and narrow restaurant. They had a television mounted high in the corner just left of the entrance door. The sound was up a bit but not too obnoxious. We sat midway in the restaurant and I had my back to the screen. I could hear shooting and yelling and other commotion coming from the television. Actionnel commented that he did not like movies like that. A little later I noticed that the sounds had calmed down and a new movie was beginning. I sat there eating my lunch and listened to the dialogue. It sounded so familiar! I almost knew the next line. I had to turn around and look at the screen only to see that they were showing....Yes, Fried Green Tomatoes! I was covered in goose bumps. I still don't know what this is supposed to mean or how in the world I came across this story twice...in Haiti!!!! Anyone have any clues?

So, after lunch we continued on with our journey. As we neared the mountains of Bayonnais, we could see the sky getting darker and darker. Just as we turned off the main road to head home, the clouds broke, the lightning and thunder roared and we were hit hard with a storm. The road turned into a river in a matter of minutes. Because our drive is uphill, the rust colored water was rushing down towards us so fast and the wheels were slipping and sliding around. We came across many people who were braving the weather. Actionnel picked up a few passengers along the way as he always does. It was amazing, but just after five very rough and hectic miles, as we were nearing our destination, the rain stopped and I saw the most beautiful rainbow spanning across the sky and over the mountain tops. I said a very sincere silent thank you to God for getting us there and back safely.

Since Friday evening, I have been enjoying my book and keeping my eyes open for a possible message or inspiration. I am more than halfway through the story and looking forward to finishing the rest. I thank you for taking the time to check my blog and for keeping up with the adventures. Love to all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved being at Wall's Guest House. It was my main place to stay in Port. Glad you have gotten to enjoy it and their good food. Also glad you got home safely from that storm. helen