Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Flag Day in Haiti, May 18th

On Friday, May 18th, Haiti will be celebrating Flag Day. (It will also be my 30th day of living in Haiti. At this rate, two years is not a long time). I have posted some information that I gathered from the www.EnchantedLearning.com website for those of you who have an interest in history. I have not seen the flag up close and in person but it is an attractive flag on screen. We will be going on a field trip this Friday to another city to join in the celebration. The schools will be closed for the holiday so I will be back online on Monday to fill you in on the weekend events.
Great and Wonderful News!!!!
I just received word that the school bus has arrived in Gonaives! Saint-Victor is trying to find someone who can go and get the bus today, or tomorrow for sure, since the Customs Office will be closed on Friday. We may not be able to use the bus for our trip but at least we know it is here and the supplies will be on the way very soon. Thank God for this fantastic blessing!

*************************************************************

The Flag of Haiti

The flag of the Republic of Haiti was adopted on May 18, 1803. Haiti had been a colony of France since 1697, but the people rebelled in 1803 and Haiti achieved independence on January 1, 1804.
The Haitian flag is a red and blue bicolor; for state occasions, the Arms of Haiti are added to the center of the flag on a white background. The colors red and blue were chosen from the French flag. The Haitian arms depict a royal palm in the center topped with a red and blue cap of liberty. There are also six blue and red flags, two smaller red banners on the sides, many weapons (rifles with bayonettes, two yellow cannons and many cannonballs), a drum, an anchor, green grass, and a white banner reading "L'UNION FAIT LA FORCE," meaning "Union is Strength."
Haiti is located in the Caribbean Sea. Christopher Columbus sailed to Hispaniola in 1492. Haiti and the Dominican Republic constitute the island of Hispaniola, located east of Cuba; Haiti occupies the western third of the island. Haiti's capital city is Port-au-Prince.

*************************************************************

Also want to note that tomorrow, May 17th, is Aquel's 17th birthday! He is such a terrific and loving guy and deserves to be honored on his special day. I still have a few Haitian dollars left so I plan to take him to the market after lunch and let him pick out a gift for himself. I have not been to the local market yet so it will be fun for me as well. I am excited about having a birthday to celebrate. Hope to have a cake or some kind of treat for the kids but it all depends on what Lucner can find. If all else fails, we still have some strawberry cookies that they would enjoy. I'm sure I will have some pictures to share with you. Much love to all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Vickie Jean,

I love reading your blog and look forward to a visit at MMO someday. I hope to meet you and tell you what a wonderful blessing I think you are to the Haitians there. The big election debates are ongoing now; be glad you are missing them. God bless, helen