Monday, May 28, 2007

Sorry So Short....

I will apologize to anyone who was expecting one of my novel postings but I came unprepared this morning. I spent a lot of my time over the weekend trying to sort and organize the donated items. Still a lot to do and so much to be thankful for. The kids are having a great time.

Some good news to share:

Just before getting off line last week, I received the nicest email from a gentleman by the name of Ian Smith. He wrote to say that he had viewed my blog and nearly jumped out of his chair when he saw the pictures of the bridge. He just happens to be with the Engineers Without Borders (EWB) Bridge Team that came to Haiti to plan and fund the construction of the bridge. They were the first pictures he had seen in a year and he was very happy to see the progress. He also said that they were planning a meeting to see about funding for the completion of the bridge. I was both surprised and excited to receive his email. It was very nice of him to write.

I spoke with Actionnel this morning and he said that they will have a meeting at the U.N. office next Monday to discuss the funding and the equipment needed to finish the project. This morning I saw a few people back at work and they were very happy. I'll be posting some more photos soon. At this point, I would like to say another big THANK YOU to Actionnel for making it possible for me to use the Internet and giving me the opportunity and the joy of sharing my experiences here. Thanks again for your generosity.

We have had quite a bit of rain for the past couple of days so Julius and I made the trip over to OFCB on foot this morning due to the muddy conditions. The walk was pleasant because it was nice and cool. Everything looks very green today and the farmers are starting to see some of the new growth sprouting in their gardens. I am looking forward to reaping some of the benefits of the crops that have been planted by Saint-Victor's brother across the road from the house. Evaniel (his brother) gave me a quick tour of his garden last Saturday and showed me the different varieties that he has planted. There will be a lot of corn, a type of greens (like spinach), some okra and some melons. Another exciting thing to look forward to.

For those of you who enjoy reading blogs, I would like to let you know that my new friend, Morgan, who spent three months here in Haiti and left five days after I arrived, now has a new blogsite.
It is http://www.trans-iberia.blogspot.com/ . He is currently in Spain and plans to explore Morocco. He was only home for a short six days before taking off for another adventure. He has two postings on his website so take a look when you get a chance. For those of you who did not read his other blogsite: http://www.haitianhills.blogspot.com/ , that is also definitely worth a look. He is an amazing writer and a wonderful soul.

Here is a photo for your viewing pleasure. I did a little extreme makeover for Madam Denise's (the mother of our cook, Marie-Rose) market stand on our property. It used to have only one shade structure (an old sheet) over the table so I added some more posts (tree limbs) and two plastic tarps. One covers her table of goods and the other shades the box that holds her ice and bottled beverages. She was very happy with the new look.

No, that is not Madam Denise. That is my little Noula enjoying the shade while playing with her new-found collection of bottle caps.

I hope to have more exciting news for you on Wednesday. God Bless and keep us in your prayers.

No comments: