Friday, May 11, 2007

Over the River and Through the Mud....

Here are a few candid shots of the walk over to OFCB. It is really a pleasant walk in the early mornings when it is cooler and there is a breeze. I was informed this morning that the funds for the bridge are running low and the project may have to be put on hold soon. That would be a real shame for all who have put their hard work into this and for the locals that are counting on having a better way to cross. If anyone is interested in making contributions to help with the completion, please send me an email or post your comments on this blog site and I will get you the information you need, to do so. I thank you in advance for your support and your prayers.

Organizing the rock piles for the completion of the bridge.

Young Haitians hanging out on the bridge. The one with the big smile asked me to take the shot.
The progression of a ramp on the OFCB side of the bridge.
Typical road conditions after a heavy rain. This is the path leading to the river which prompted the need to build the wonderful bridge. It is a lifeline for many students and teachers to get to their schools and for the locals to get to the market or travel to other cities.

Woman who filled her bucket from the water fountain on right and then posed for this picture.

Local Haitians that I see with each trip back and forth to OFCB.
My new "zanmi" (friend), Semamoun (pronounced: See my moon). She greets me every morning when I pass through. One of the many children that cannot afford to go to school.

Posing with Semamoun and her companions. Aquel wanted to take another shot since he only got her head in the first one. Should have seen the look on his face when he reviewed it.

Did someone say "Rocky Road"? Tough on the feet. Worse on the vehicles.

A Mango tree bearing lots of fruit.

One of the oldest trees in Haiti known as "Mapou". This photo diminishes the magnificence of its size and beauty. I will try to get some better shots.If you can see the man on the road in the red shirt (just going around the bend) then you can get an idea of how big this tree really is.

No comments: