Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Still Working Out The Kinks

Last Monday I spent several hours trying to post some pictures on this site and I thought my efforts were in vain. When I checked my Blog one final time before leaving, none of the pictures or my writings were there. I was very disappointed but it was time to leave. When I checked it this morning, everything was there. I was confused but happy. Apparently the download was operating on a Haitian pace. I still have not figured out the format, as you have noticed with the position of the words, (I am trying to edit the mistakes) but I will keep trying. The important thing is to write about the happenings and share some photos to keep you informed. I have a few more pictures to share with you. St. Victor allowed me to use his camera the other night and all was going well until the battery went low. He took it home to recharge and will bring it back again.
In the meantime, I will give you some highlights of the time that has already past. (I have now been here for 15 days which is hard to believe). It was my intention to write a daily journal but it just has not been possible. The majority of my days and evenings are spent with the children and it is a rare moment when I have time to read or do anything else. (Note to Morgan: I don't know how you managed to read so many books. Last night, I finally finished the one I started on the airplane when flying to Haiti - It's Not About Me by Max Lucado) .
Since I now awake between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. (whether I want to or not) I truly appreciate it when I am told that I should take a nap. The noise level is still high and the daily activities continue but somehow I manage to drown them out long enough to rest for 30 to 45 minutes. By then, it is too hot to be in the room.

The first Saturday after I arrived, I had the joy of taking a one and a half hour (each way) motorbike ride with St. Victor to Gonaives to look around, check my email at the internet center, have a lunch meeting with Lucner and to do some quick shopping (20 minutes) at the indoor flea market. My goal was to find some things for the kids but most of the places were closed and we came back without anything for them. The ride, however, was very nice. We took a different route up through the mountains. It was a very nice day and the view was fantastic. I really enjoyed it so much! Wish we had taken some pictures but the camera was at the house.

On the first Sunday, everyone got up early, had breakfast and went to church. (Held in the school on our property). Lucner introduced me to the congregation. Some faces I already knew from the Women's prayer group, the students and the English classes. After the introduction, the choir got up to sing a special song in English: You Are My All In All. They had no idea that it was one of my favorite songs. It was sung in both English and Creole. A very beautiful and moving rendition. After that, the congregation sang a few songs. I was so impressed with the fact that every member (young and old) sang the songs and the harmonies were amazing. There was someone in the very back of the church clacking two sticks together to keep the tempo. Even though they did not have any instruments, it was a full and beautiful choir of voices. After the singing, Lucner and Saint Victor asked if I would like to say a few words. I did my five minutes of "Glad to be here, nice to see you and I am looking forward to living and working in Haiti...." I'm not really sure what I said. It was a little intimidating to speak in front of everyone. Lucner translated in Creole and everyone applauded. Guess I did alright?
Saint Victor then gave a sermon while Lucner translated in English. It was a good service. Afterwards I met more of the locals and later we had another unscheduled English class for three hours.

The rest of the week was fun and interesting. Lucner finally purchased some crayons and paper for the kids and everyone was excited. Even the staff got involved and were on the floor with the kids drawing their own pictures. I let them color for as much and as long as they wanted to. It was a great day for everybody. Got some very nice pictures as well.

Some observations to share:

Most Haitians do not understand the concept of personal space. They are accustomed to being packed into small areas (classrooms, transportation, mealtime, bathing) with a lot of other people. My children are in the habit of crowding in around me to be close to me and they all call my name at the same time. "Ms. Vicki Jean, Ms. Vicki Jean!" They are constantly tapping me on the arm or wrist until they get my attention. It can be pretty overwhelming when the wind isn't blowing and my noise tolerance is low. I am slowly teaching them to lower their voices, and to move back so I can have some air. They are picking up English pretty quickly.

Modesty is not in their vocabulary. When crossing the river to come to or go from OFCB, I have seen men, women, and children bathing together in the river in broad daylight for all to see. Some bathe in their own yards. I try to give them some courtesy by looking the other way.
Using the bathroom is anywhere on the side of the road when you feel the urge to go. Toddlers who are not toilet trained are usually seen without clothing. Nudity is acceptable in Haiti when it comes to cleanliness. Haitians are generally very clean. Constant washing of hands and feet and showers or baths twice a day.

Everyone works. From the youngest child that can walk and carry to the oldest adult, everyone has a chore to do. I have seen four and five year olds with buckets of water or an arm full of sticks that they have gathered. The older people carry goods to the market or laundry to the river or supplies for their families. The middle generation helps and participates wherever there is a need. Every morning as early as 6:00 a.m. the locals and the students come to our school to fill their jugs or buckets with water. They come again in the evenings.

Discipline is a little harsh. They believe in spanking. I witnessed some disciplinary actions across the road from where we live. I was so ready to intervene because it went on too long and the mother was in a rage with her children. She was beating them with a large piece of wood. She was screaming at them non-stop, continued to beat them and chase them around the yard until she caught them and to hit them again. They were pleading for mercy. Many of the locals stopped to watch but no one got involved. My heart broke for the children. In America, the mother would have been arrested and the children taken away for abuse. I witnessed another incident where a teacher and the child's mother were taking turns hitting the teenage girl on the palm of the hand with a leather strap. She was being punished in front of her peers for about 20 minutes. They would give her a few lashes at a time, allow her to run away to cry and then return for more. She was not allowed to cry while being struck. If she moved her hand, they would strike her on the leg. I found out later that she was being punished for not doing well in school and for walking out of class. That evening I spoke with one of the teachers about both incidents and he said that was the Haitian way. They believe that it took brute force to make the kids learn respect and how to listen. I told him that it only taught them to fear the parents, to lose a sense of security, and to resent the parents for the punishment. I'm not sure what he thought of my comment because he did not respond. Perhaps it is effective in Haiti? I'm not so sure.

Most of the locals are Christian and they love to sing hymns and talk about God and Jesus. It is very comforting and refreshing to see such a large group of people openly talking about God on a daily basis with almost everyone. During the first weekend, we had a discussion about the power of God and how he answers prayers. It had been extremely hot and very dusty for several days. I told Lucner and Saint Victor that I was going to pray for rain to cool things off and to settle the dust. It rained every day for four days and last night the roads were flooded after a steady downpour. Maybe I prayed too hard? I think the crops are happy. At least the dust is contained for now.

Some facts:

Haiti is known as The Land of Sunshine. When I was in middle and high school, my nickname was Sunshine so I must be in the right place.

The Creole language is a combination of French, Spanish, African and English.

The majority of the Haitian population lives in the capital of Port-Au-Prince. You will have to do your own research to see how many people live there now.

Well, I have some emails to read and answer and I still need to post some pictures. Please check some of the older postings because I have added some more pictures in the places where they belong. Thank you for checking my blog and please feel free to leave comments. I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who are reading this. Lots of love to all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, I am really enjoying your blog. It brings back lots of memories. Are you doing teaching at MMO and OFCB both? I have not seen MMO, but have been to OFCB several years ago. You are surely doing a good work for these sweet people. Thank you so much. helen