Thursday, May 24, 2007

Oh, the JOY!!!

There is so much joy to share today since I have not been on the Internet for more than a week! Last Thursday was Aquel’s 17th Birthday so I took him to the local market as planned and our friend, David (my English assistant), went along with us. I was so glad because he understands the Haitian currency and knows how to haggle for a good price. Aquel came away with a new pair of soccer shorts, a bandana, and a “sweat rag”. (A colorful washcloth that you keep wet to wipe off your face when it gets too hot. Stays wet longer than a regular washcloth. Not sure why? Really very useful. Have enjoyed mine!) He also purchased two pairs of ankle socks (one says U.S.A.), and a pair of second hand tennis shoes. (Nike and in good shape). He was very happy. I enjoyed seeing the market and how they operate. (I have no problem becoming a vegetarian after observing the meat sitting in the sun and knowing it will be there for several hours). I also got my very first Haitian sunburn. Did not feel the burn while it was happening and still did not feel it until after my shower. Ouch! We stopped for a quick photo op with Saint-Victor's mother who is a vendor and his brother, Richmond. A few more candid shots and then we returned home. A couple of hours later, our school bus arrived! What a beautiful sight!













We had plenty of help getting the bus unloaded and then we had this incredible pile of wonderful donated blessings. There were many bags of clothes, shoes, blankets, towels, sheets, food, medical supplies, school supplies, and a great assortment of sports equipment for the children. All of the things that we received are to be shared between the two ministries: Modene Murphy Ministries and OFCB Ministries along with the members of both churches and the families in Bayonnais. We would like to send a very big thank you out to all the people who spent their time, energy, and money to make all of this possible.











After we got everything unloaded, we took a short break and then moved on to have Aquel's Birthday celebration. Because of all the commotion with getting the bus, Lucner and Saint-Victor were unable to get a cake but we had just enough strawberry filled cookies for everyone to have one each and honor his day. The children played a couple of games and then we had a very nice dinner. Aquel was so happy and said "Thank you, my mother" so many times. (The kids started saying that on the evening of Mother's Day). He said it was his first party and the best birthday he has ever had. I was very moved by his joy.






















Because of the arrival of the bus and all of its contents, I did not go on the field trip. Aquel was the only one who chose to go. It was important to him to be a part of Flag Day. I stayed with the rest of the kids and spent my day sorting the supplies and taking an occasional break to have fun. The children of MMM were so very happy and excited about everything they saw. Each time I gave them something to wear, use or play with, they would say, “Thank you, my mother!” with giggles and the biggest smile. They have so enjoyed all of the art and school supplies as well. They were thrilled with the stacks of books and even a couple of ninth graders (in their 20's) were fascinated with the pictures and the vocabulary. We have had some lessons with Hula-hoops, a Frisbee, and how to throw an American football. Last night some of the kids practiced writing out the Alphabets on their lettering tablets. I am going to save the bubbles for a special surprise this weekend.























I was so looking forward to writing in my Blog this past Monday (the 21st) but the Internet was out of service. It was not repaired until late Wesnesday so I made a special trip on Thursday (yesterday). I was having computer withdrawals and very anxious to check my email. The Internet was still having some problems and we kept losing our connection. It is now Friday (the 25th) and I was finally able to read my mail and complete my Blog. Thank you to those who sent a personal email and a special thank you to Helen for leaving a comment on my Blog. I, too, hope that we will one day meet here in Haiti. It is so exciting for me when I see that someone has left a note. Makes me feel less isolated knowing that someone is back in the homeland keeping up with my adventures. Thanks to all who are doing the same.
I cannot end this writing without telling you about my most recent personal joy. Thursday, I finally had the great pleasure of riding my bicycle to OFCB. What a great feeling to be riding again! It made the trip go so much faster and the wind was refreshing. I had to laugh at myself a few times when I was struggling to get up the rocky hills and finding the strength to pedal harder for the uphill climb. I would get an occasional break when it was necessary to get off the bike and guide it up a steeper path. (I was able to walk off the cramps that formed in my forgotten muscles). Coming back was just as exciting. Earlier in the afternoon it had rained just enough to get the dirt nice and slick. We were moving at a pretty good rate of speed going downhill most of the way. There was no need to pedal, really. I just kept my hands on the brakes to be ready for the sudden obstacles and tried to maintain control when the bike would fishtail. At one point, I was moving at a pretty good rate of speed and watching my surroundings whiz past me. I haven't moved that fast in ages. Right then I wanted to let out a loud and long Texas "Yeeeeee-Haaaaaa!" all the way down but I decided to keep it to myself. Didn't want to startle the natives. The bike ride was quite a rush for the most part but pretty scary when I would encounter a large maze of rocks and boulders and had to make split-second decisions on which way to steer. I had a great time! This morning, my body was not so thrilled. It only took a few minutes to work out the kinks and then I was back to the challenge of the uphill ride. I am now looking forward to the trip back home. Until next week, God Bless and Love to all!!

No comments: